Tuesday, June 3, 2008

four weeks and counting, anxiously

today, june 3, is one for celebration. my reasoning is double-pronged. ouch.

firstly, it's been exactly one month since i started camelshoes. secondly, it's exactly one month until i board a plane a leave this beautiful country, and my beautiful friends, for an indefinite period of time. eek.

so. one at a time. the blog. thoughts thus far? i likey.

it's very therapeutic to write, you know. especially for me. when i sit down at my lappy i can just type and type. sometimes i don't even forward think, as you can probably tell. i can write about things which have been troubling me in a way which helps me, at the very least, have a laugh.

perspective is a wonderful thing. unfortunately, i am not so good at doing this verbally. i wish i was but i am just not. there are only a handful of people who are privy to the verbal version of what goes on in this odd head of mine. they are the most important people in my life. i love them.

i plan to write a lot more about me here. it's not that i think my life is particularly interesting, or that people would want to follow my story, but i just like this whole blogging concept and, if nothing else, i think it would be a great "keepsake" for me.

i have held off being too personal so far because most of my thoughts and feelings from the past six months have been written down elsewhere and will soon take the form of weekly columns in News Limited publication the Townsville Bulletin. this is exciting and scary. exciting because i get paid to be creative which is what i love to do. scary because it's going to force me to divulge stuff about myself to a much broader audience than i'm used to.

i have been a journalist for about five years and had come to a point of apathy before i resigned to travel. i still love to write, obviously, but i just wanted to write about what i wanted to write about, not what i had to write about. make sense?

my column will be a challenge. it will be an honest, frank and hopefully entertaining account of my life and how, lately, it's been turned upside down. for good or bad? both. i will post each column on camelshoes after it has been published. lucky you.


moving along. even scarier than the prospect of spewing my thoughts into newsprint on a weekly basis is the fact this time next month i will be en route to Peru. i feel so utterly under prepared. does everyone feel this way? God, i hope so.

i will be spending four weeks in Peru, Cuzco to be precise, working with a program called Peru's Challenge before embarking on a little independent Sth America travel. Then it's off to London where I'll become a travelling cliche. yep, working holiday.

my stay is indefinite. it will be documented here. that part i am excited about.

3 comments:

Rick M said...

I did not even see this blog until now...how did I miss this one? Must have been distracted by accusations about Anne Frank's culpability.

In any case, thanky ou for writing your blog. I refresh annoying amounts of times throughout the day looking for an update, which is why you usually find I have left a comment minutes after you have posted it. Technically, it's not stalking. I promise.

As for your column, how exciting! I've always wanted one, but if it meant becoming a certain Intimate with Brat then so not for me. I look forward to reading it and your (no doubt hilarious) travel musings.

An early bon voyage from me...tho I shall see you for drinks hopefully.

Shane said...

I echoe Rick's ramblings and look forward to reading your future ramblings... then, once in the future, I'm going to look back on said ramblings and plagiarize all of it. Because I'm bigger than you.

Good for you Jax, you clearly have a disturbingly polished talent that's only going to get even more Mr Sheenier.

Shane said...

I echoe Rick's ramblings and look forward to reading your future ramblings... then, once in the future, I'm going to look back on said ramblings and plagiarize all of it. Because I'm bigger than you.

Good for you Jax, you clearly have a disturbingly polished talent that's only going to get even more Mr Sheenier.

Related Posts with Thumbnails