Monday, September 1, 2008

slave labour

I am job hunting. It sucks arse (I've moved on from so many crass and juvenile terms but, for some unknown reason, sucks arse is not one of them).

Today i was perusing some site and came across a freelance job. Five hundred words a story, three stories a day, five days a week, all due by the 9am deadline.

"So you are free to write the articles at a time that suits you," the advertisement boasted.

The job was kind of striking a chord with me. It was a niche market which I think would be fantastic to write about. I was gearing up to adjust my generic cover letter.

Scroll down.

"For each article you will be paid $5.50. You will therefore earn a daily sum of $16.50..."

Firstly, I don't know where the pound key is. Quite likely there isn't one.

Secondly, thanks for the sums. I may be a writer but I am not a mathematical retard.

Thirdly, I laugh in the face of your offer. $5.50 a story?? You have got to be kidding. Who in this world is going to apply for such a position.

Journos, I know you appreciate this.

To bring the rest of you up to speed: I have been given the thumbs up to submit freelance stuff (yes, that's the official term) for a certain Australian publication while I am overseas with a guide of $150-$250 per 600-1000 word yarn.

I am not special, that's simply what such a job is worth.

Back to the hunt, or maybe facebook first.

1 comment:

Rick said...

Christ, you'd make more money from a lemonade stall. Hmmm...lemonade. I'll have three.

Related Posts with Thumbnails