Friday, May 15, 2009

advertising, apples and anxiety (and alliteration)

021 I voted for Mark Latham. How embarrassing for me.

022 Good advertising inspires me. Bad advertising infuriates me.

023 I used to bite my nails. I don’t anymore. I bite the skin around my nails. It’s not a good trade off. It’s a nervous habit. I don’t even realise I’m doing it.

024 I am going to New York in September. I am super excited. I have never been but expect to love it. I don’t think the USA gets enough credit as a tourist destination. I think people are turned off by all the Americans. I hear they’re everywhere.

025 Earl Grey tea. Yes please.

026 I cannot listen to my iPod while walking without stepping to the beat. As a result, I kind of strut. Sometimes I’ll be walking along and I’ll think ‘dude, you are totally strutting, quit it’ and then I think ‘ahhh, fuck it, embrace the rhythm’ and put my back into it just a little bit more.

027 I was diagnosed with anxiety depression about four years ago. Until recently, I have been ignoring it as a legitimate problem. It’s more than legitimate. It floors me. I hope now I have acknowledged it, I will be better equipped to cope. I don’t want to be ashamed which is why I am choosing to share this with you. It’s a little bit scary but I do not feel anxious. This is a really big deal for me.

028 Former pets = numerous gold fish. Numerous causes of death. Guinea pig named Kylie. After Minogue. I was a young teeny bopper and loooooved her. I don’t think Kylie liked domestic life very much. She didn’t last long. Cat called Fluffy. She was beautiful. Died of old age. Was very sad. Cat called Sim. I think she was a neighbour’s cat but the neighbours were ferals and didn’t look after her very well so she would always come and visit us. We fed her, she stayed. She had to go to the vet. The vet accidentally let her outside, she got hit by a car. The girl at reception broke the news to my mum and sister as if she was telling them the time. Sister cried. Mum yelled. Receptionist cowered. Lastly, cat who thought she was a dog. Ping Gilly. Ping because she had already been named and Gilly because she had disproportionately large ears as a kitten which reminded me of the best most amazingly fantastic cricketer the universe has ever seen, Adam Gilchrist. Ping Gilly, aka Gillsenen, thought she was a dog. She loved playing fetch. When she was hit by a car I was completely devastated. I cannot imagine the love a mother must feel for a child when I think about the love I had for her. I miss her.

029 I like apples but dislike pretty much anything made with them.

actually, i prefer red. but i liked this picture.

030 I just bought tickets to see Regina Spektor in Hyde Park in June. Bring on my jam-packed June. Reggie is amazing. If you don’t know her, get your butt to YouTube now. I want to wrap myself up in her cover of Real Love, as heard on Triple J’s Like a Version last year.

6 comments:

Rick M said...

Mark Latham. Shudder. I do the same thing with my iPod. Sometimes I even stretch it to dancing. I LOVE it. Nobody can stop me dancing.

I like watching you grow with your blog. Does that sound patronising? It wasn't meant to.

xxoo

Siamese Saffron said...

1) New York is incredible, you will love it - and you do know I'm American, don't you? Don't let the skin colour throw you off. I can promise you we're not all as bad as those in London make us out to be. In fact, some of us are seriously awesome: me included. I hope NY changes your mind, because it changed mine many a year ago... well, that and Tupac. Oh, and everyone else I so adore who happens to be from my birthland...

2) I have anxiety, too. Shit. Now this is something we really do have to discuss. Just a word of advice: anti-depressants do nothing other than lower your libido and give you crazy dreams. But if you take them when you're stoned, MAN! It's like, ecstasy. Not that I've done that, or anything.

3)I saw Regina in Brissy last year! Amazing. She might be on prescription pills though. Prepare yourself by taking a valium - that way you're on the same level.

jax said...

ooo, must clarify. i don't dislike americans. i mean i have met a few who typify the unfortunate stereotype but assuming you're all like that, well that's just racism. but i do think the stereotype puts people off. shame.

on the anxiety...are we the same person?

did not feel patronised, rick. thanks for the words.

man, the three of us are going to drink some wine together when i get back and it is going to be fun.

Siamese Saffron said...

We possibly are the same person. I am starting to think god is playing a joke on us.

Yes, I've had it all my life, but it got really bad when I was depressed and I nearly tried to kill myself after a panic attack. I'm much better now.

It still plays a big part in my life, but you're right, acknowledging it does wonders.

We'll talk.

The Novelista Barista said...

Very cool on coming to new york!!!!

llq said...

Possibly the most amazing blog that I read all year! halter neck wedding dress!?! pumps christian louboutin. Empire Wedding Dresses

Related Posts with Thumbnails