Wednesday, May 19, 2010

jesus is the best now buy me a cow

i am really hating facebook.

i know, i know. it's the mandatory bash facebook post. and it's been a long time coming people. but now, like never before, facebook makes me want to cry.

"so, delete your account".

pretty darn simple isn't it? but i can't. i just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. for all the things i hate about facebook...
    (eg:
  • the time i waste on it
  • the ignorant/racist/stupid/embarrassing status updates which oft grace my news feed
  • the tagging of un-tag-worthy photos by inconsiderate friends
  • the pressure to reply at pace to messages and wall postings
  • the increasingly alarming stories re security like this one)
...there is something stopping me giving it the flick.

put simply, for me, there are three types of friends on facebook. my real friends who i speak to and see often enough to make our facebook relationship redundant. my 'i met you once' friends who i never speak to, ever, leaving me apathetically baffled as to why they would request my 'friendship' in the first place. again, redundant.

but then there's the inbetweeners. facebook friends whose phone numbers i do not have and, truth be told, i would probably not ring if i did. friends who i might not have seen in years. friends who might live on the other side of the world. friend who, although we'll likely never see each other, i am happy if not grateful to have some form of contact with.

if i delete my facebook account, i'll surely loose touch with those people. it's hard enough fitting the a-team into my spare time.

i think though i am pretty close to bailing on the ol' FB. and as more and more people do so, it will be easier for me to play sheep (no, not farmville: i'm an adult). for now i've decided hiding is the new culling. it's working out for me.

are you still on facebook? how's it working out for you?

14 comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

I've probably hidden a quarter of my facebook friends. Those with an unrelenting desire to play farmville, mafia wars etc and their continual updates, along with those dreadful status updates. But I can still go and check them out if I need to.

I'm with you, sometimes I think it'd be easier to get rid of it, but I'm lazy and love keeping up with friends and most of the time I forget to call/email...

Lori @ RRSAHM said...

*sigh* my sentiments exactly. I'm hiding out.

jprp said...

EXACTLY! though i didnt know about this "hide" option! i think i'm going to go look now! almost on a daily basis i think about deleting, on probably close to an hourly basis, i have a look around! i'm hopeless! I dont think i'd ever actually delete it though, for fear of being "left out of the loop!" aarrrggghh!!

nel said...

i couldn't agree more. I rarely go on fb anymore, but its there so I can keep in touch with those inbetweeners. I cant be bothered scrolling through the feed anymore- i just get fed up with the people/the time it takes.

CuppyCakes said...

I'm still on there. I have the rather unfortunate circumstance just now of having my two BFF's living far away from me, so we use it to keep in touch.

Plus it's how I keep up with the work gossip...

Broot said...

I regularly "unfriend" people that I'm not keeping up with or have no interest in keeping up with. I keep my FB account very low frills - no games, only people I wanna talk to. I find it frustrating, too, but many of my FB friends are online friends only - I wouldn't chat with them otherwise!!

Amanda said...

Ah! the title of this post is making me grin :D Soo funny, pretty much perfectly describes my news feed!

I was just saying yesterday that I'm ::thisclose:: to ditching the whole thing. I would miss being able to keep up with some people on it, but if I'm not willing to write down their email addresses and keep in touch via email how good a friend are they, really?

I wouldn't be surprised if before 2010 is over I'm not on there anymore...or with a massive downgrade.

Living in Taradise said...

I like having my facebook account but recently had to block some relatives because as soon as I updated my status they would run and tell my grandparents. Long story short the grandparents got onto me for sharing information with the world. I figure, I have strict privacy settings and am very strict with the people who are my friends. Solution. Block the crazy relatives. There we go. MY tiny facebook rant.

Anti-Supermom said...

I don't use my FB account, I basically have 4 pictures in there and a link to my blog. It's just *there*.

I with you, farmville and buying people virtual beers can shove it.

Langdowns said...

No opinion really. It just is. It's working out ok for me but then again I am never on it much. I found it great for "finding" people I went to school with over 20 years ago and catching up with them (ie peaking into their lives), but that's all I use it for. So I guess the energy it does or doesn't give me is in direct proportion to the energy I do or don't give it! Yep, no opinion really.

Alana said...

My first step in becoming less addicted was taking it off my phone. A big help. I never post a status or photos anymore, but if I did I would use lists, so I choose who sees what. I upped my privacy early on in the game, so don't have many fb friends that I wouldn't just email or see IRL if I was to 'quit.' It is very handy however for one super busy brother I have to post photos of his growing family on and I wouldn't want to miss those.

Karls said...

I don't think I could pull the plug... mainly for those people that I don't have their email or phone numbers. The thing is I've gotten back in touch and rekindled some great old friendships (moving all over the country tends to make friends drop of quite easily) - I'm not sure I'm ready to cut ties incase some more old and gold friends decide to rear their heads. Also, makes keeping in touch with the 99% of friends who live interstate a little less tedious.

kate said...

yeh, i think i'm essentially with you karls. just have to remind myself of the perks when some douche makes some douchy comment and it litters my feed

Wanderlust said...

I'm still there though I keep a low profile. I have some very witty friends online and I enjoy being able to jump in and out of their repartees as time permits.

Hide all the mafia/farmville/horoscope crap or anyone who posts regularly about what they had for lunch.

Related Posts with Thumbnails