Thursday, June 10, 2010

keep calm and carry on...or words to that effect


i thought it would be kind of cool to read alice in wonderland. i saw it reviewed on first tuesday book club ages ago and found the idea of revisiting a childhood classic charming.

so i bought it and tucked in but i never found my rhythm. i'd snap out of a thought and realise i have just read five pages without 'hearing' a thing. this just happens sometimes and isn't necessarily an indication of the story's quality. still, i've since stopped reading alice and moved on to we need to talk about kevin which, as an aside, is so far brilliant.

i will quite likely return to alice. i'll have to start again and make a better effort to get involved. i think i owe it to author lewis carroll since he, through his alice, most kindly came up with these spectacular words:

...but it's no use
going back
to yesterday because
i was a different
person then...

this quote resonated with me instantly and has, among other things, helped me find a way forward from portions of my past which had previously held me back. i love words for having that power.

and you? words to live by? quotes which inspire?

6 comments:

Lori @ RRSAHM said...

Brilliant quote isn't it? That and the "When I was your age, i imagined a good six impossible things just before breakfast!" or however it goes.

I haven't been able to finish Alice. Peter Pan, however, I ripped through, and I'd highly recommend reading it- without the Disneyfication, it's a bit of a love story.

jprp said...

ooh, i like that! i also like "I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see." from Alice, by my all time favorite quote is by Robert Shaw... "Life can be hard, but take courage child, it can also be beautiful" (or something like that!)

Melissa@Suger Coat It said...

I like the quote that goes like; people are about as happy as they make up their mind to be.

That is a new favourite tho. Great. Resonates with me too. Thanks for sharing.

E. said...

I like that quote.

When I was younger I used to really like this one:

I believe in love, I believe in hope but most of all I believe in belief because without that we have nothing.

No idea where i got it from. Maybe I made it up but I wouldn't have thought I was that deep.

Charlie and Tango on a Sunday said...

I tried to do the same thing a few months ago but, like you, just couldn't get into it. I think it would be lovely to read to a child though. So I guess I'll pick it up again in a few years time. I LOVE that quote though. So true!
Catarina x

Karls said...

Might have to dust the dust cover and get stuck into it again... been a loooooong time between reads.

Related Posts with Thumbnails