Wednesday, September 1, 2010

the house of lame and boring

so, the house of sand and fog is the most boring book ever. at least, that's what i thought. i am (was) more than half way through the 400-odd pages and, for the first time in my life, had decided to give up on a book.

i googled the title. i wanted a picture so i could tell you how i was going to get all arts and craftsy and turn this...


into this...


enter wikipedia and the two paragraph synopsis. seems i was bored because everything, and i do mean everything, happens after page 289.

SPOILER ALERT!

"Out of desperation, Kathy goes to her home and attempts to commit suicide twice, first trying to shoot herself and secondly overdosing on pills. The Behranis manage to stop her both times, and she is put in a bedroom to rest. Lester breaks into the house and locks the Behranis in their bathroom at gunpoint until they agree to sell the house back to Kathy. When Lester takes the Behranis to the county office, Behrani’s son, Esmail, gets a hold of the gun and is shot by the authorities that surround him. When Behrani finds out in the hospital that his son has died, he is overcome with grief and rage at both Lester and Kathy. He returns to the house to find Kathy there, and attempts to strangle her to death. Believing Kathy to be dead, he dons his uniform and suffocates both himself and his wife, who had been asleep in the bedroom."

wow, it's like summer bay. i knew there must have been something coming because oprah wanted to marry this book and i want to marry oprah.

but now i know how it ends so i still think i'll end up turning this...


into this...



so, do you always finish reading what you start?
or are you happy to give a book the flick mid-read?

7 comments:

Brenton said...

I have only ever stopped reading one book and it was simply because it was so dull and I didn't have much spare time.

I spend so much time on my demanding girlfriend, you see.

kate said...

brenton. that's a nice name

Melissa@Suger Coat It said...

I have quit before. rarely, but it has happened.

Sometimes Oprah, she can get it wrong. Surely, maybe that COULD happen, right? Loves me some Oprah.

Design It Chic said...

Hi Kate, I am now your newest follower and i came here from SITS! I would love to see you by my blog;)
Also don't forget, if you need any help increasing your blog's traffic or easy HTML tips, you know where to come!
Today we have an amazing giveaway: two custom blog banners, so come on by to sign in and take a brand new blog banner home!
Happy Thursday!

Cat said...

I quit only in the midst of the most horrid journey such as the one you endured with this one. I did read this one through and most unhelpfully can't think of one I abandoned at this moment. And, you know, I think I got the recommendation for this one off Oprah and also the funny middle age cathedral building one that I endured under duress too so yep, her Oprah-ness can get it wrong.

Anonymous said...

oh my god jacka! i LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! can't believe you thought it was that terrible!!! i didn't know it was an oprah recommendation though!

kate said...

well, that's just it. i am a bit annoyed now because i feel like i should have given it a little more time. sounds like i would have loved it in the end.

anyway, who is that hiding behind 'anonymous'?

Related Posts with Thumbnails