Wednesday, December 8, 2010

check me out

oh, we all have our little facebook gripes. i've had my whinge here but, in the end, i log on at least daily so (who am i kidding?) i am addicted.

but i am yet to see the benefit of this new checking in situation.

sat with three mates at corridor, sipping mojitos and watching newtown pass us by, one of said friends "checked" us in on facebook. is that even what it's called? in case i am getting it wrong, what i mean is she told facebook where she was and who she was with. and, because i was 'with', the check in appeared on my facebook page too.

now, there was no problem with this, on this occasion. but it did make me wonder: what if i had pulled out a little white lie to avoid something or someone in favour of mojitos at corridor. it's not like i make a habit of this kind of behaviour but it's fair to say, it happens. and i'm okay with that. unless i get caught out.

and, what if someone nearby notices that you've checked in. someone who you don't really need to see on a casual saturday arv? someone who doesn't understand that you don't really need to see them on a casual saturday arv. again, i don't mean to imply i run around town avoiding enemies. and, of course, why would i have enemies on facebook? but we all know there are mojitos-on-a-saturday-arv friends and there are facebook friends, right?

have you checked in?
been caught out?

5 comments:

Melissa *Suger Coat It* said...

no way. i am stalker material enough without giving everyone my exact gps position. it weirds me out.

what if summer... said...

The first time I was checked in was about 2 weeks ago. I was with some family at the zoo, and when I logged onto fb later on when we returned home, I saw that I had been checked in. Even though it was totally not a big deal, and I made a status update telling everyone I was going to the zoo, it still felt like an invasion of privacy. But I'm over it. It could have been much worse, as I do often lie to get out of things and tend to act like I'm going somewhere I am not.
Is that compulsive lying? lol

But no, I'm not a fan of checking in.

-Summer

Megan Leslianne said...

Oh! This is one Facebook thing that I really don't fancy at all. I just don't see why I need to know that Dylan was just at McDonald's.

☮♥♫ said...

Next thing you know, we'll all be carrying around mini cameras that livestream our every action right onto our facebook pages!

Frankly, it creeps me out. I don't need all of cyberspace knowing where I am 24/7, nor do I need to do all of the work for any potential stalkers.

Angela said...

And what if someone realises your not home and breaks in..... far fetched I know but

Related Posts with Thumbnails